[syslinux] Intel Boot Agent: PXE-E32: TFTP open timeout for correctly configured tftp-hpa

张韡武 zhangweiwu at realss.com
Fri Sep 8 09:45:16 PDT 2006

Hello.

在 2006-09-07四的 09:47 +0800,张韡武写道:
> Hello. In my case I can successfully boot up my Thinkpad X32, but the
> same configuration doesn't work for my desktop computer with Intel
> network card, with Intel Boot Agent 2.2
>
> DHCP server is 10.0.0.1, tftpd (used tftp-hpa) runs on 10.0.0.32.
> netstat told me the daemon listen to 69 UDP port just fine. running tftp
> in commandline also shows it works (retrieve pxelinux.0 less then 1
> second).
>
> The Thinkpad X32 boots fine (I think their boot code is based on intel
> boot agent too), loads Linux kernel fine.
>
> The desktop computer with IBA 2.2 boots, obtain IP address like this:
>         DHCP Client: 10.0.0.7   MASK: 255.255.255.0 DHCP IP: 10.0.0.32
>         GATEWAY IP: 10.0.0.1
>         PXE-E32: TFTP open timeout.
>         PXE-E32: TFTP open timeout.
>         PXE-E32: TFTP open timeout.
>
> Note between each of the last 3 error message the computer waited about
> one minute before timeout.
>
> I also tried to replace the network card with 3 other cards of the same
> model from the same reseller (he only get this brand and this model),
> they all behave the same way. This card works fine (e.g. browsing the
> web) after installed Windows 98 from CDROM (I don't prefer Windows 98.
> The reseller installed Windows 98 to show me this card is OKay).
>
> Any idea how do I go on? Thank you a lot!
>
> Here is my parameter launched tftp-hpa:
> # in.tftpd -u nobody -l -vvvvvv -p -c -s /tftpboot/

After further googled around I discovered this article which suggested
that the card I used ( Intel® PRO/100 S Desktop Adapter ) only support
MTFTP. Quote from that article:
        It turns out that the PRO/100 S won't boot with only a DHCP and
        non-multicast TFTP server. It seems to require a PXE server, and
        a multicast TFTP server.

Now in that article it's suggested mtftp daemon should be used. However
on my debian system not any single package is known to have in.mtftpd
which looks like a special daemon only available for Redhat. This way I
cannot set up a server that can boot this intel card.

I happen to have the other card the article author listed that is
capable of tftp, the 3COM's 3C905 card. Although I don't have an
EPROM/EEPROM on it, I think perhaps the easiest way is to buy an EPROM
for the 3COM's card and replace the Intel card.

Or, can in.tftpd directly used as in.mtftpd?