[syslinux] USB key: CBIOS line printed, nothing else

Josh Lehan jlehan at scyld.com
Mon Sep 11 15:47:21 PDT 2006

Rory Vieira wrote:
> Examples of my situations:
> A: Using FAT32 with sysresccd on key properly installed... (kinda like
> knoppix)
> Works on personal system
> Works on company server
> It shows EBIOS, and No Linux Found on test system
>
> B: Using FAT16, content is the same...
> Works on all systems without a glitch

Well, that was it.  I bought another USB key, to replace the one I had
burned out doing so much testing on :) and reformatted it with FAT16
instead of FAT32.  Thanks for your suggestion.

The one tricky BIOS, that failed to boot earlier, now happily saw it,
and SYSLINUX found all of its files!  Knoppix booted right up without a
hitch.

So, now that that's solved, here's my "final" writeup of my preferred
way to make a Knoppix bootable USB key:

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bootable_USB_Key

Josh