[syslinux] Comments sought on the graphical menu infrastructure

Pat Suwalski pat at suwalski.net
Tue Sep 19 20:15:50 PDT 2006

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> I would really appreciate feedback on the graphical menu system and its
> infrastructure.  It's not really clear to me that it's what people want;
> it seems to me that it makes more sense than gfxboot, for example (C
> rather than pseudo-Forth), but I can understand people would disagree.
>
> Anyway, the more feedback I get the easier it will be to pick a
> direction and a priority for future work, so any comments are appreciated.

I haven't yet tried configuring the menu, though I've already seen it in
action.

I'm wondering if there is some possibility of somehow doing an if/then
operation.

The idea would be that if VESA was set successfully, then a variable
could be passed to the Linux kernel stating that is the case.

I'm not sure of how useful that would be to others, but perhaps it could
detect broken VESA on cards before anyone tries to modprobe vesafb. Or
maybe ISOLINUX would crash equally nicely on these broken machines. I'm
not sure.

Just an idea.

--Pat