[syslinux] Fwd: Boot from USB without C Drive

Nazo nazosan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 17:37:54 PDT 2006

On 9/20/06, Adiguna Muhammad <adiguna at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All
>
> Thanks you for the device.
> My problem is solved now, because I use another USB-CDROM for booting :)
> Somehow, the first cdrom can't boot on my Laptop.
> I have success running DOS 622 from syslinux without C drive.
> But when I install Windows XP, it can't boot from the C Drive eventhough the
> ntldr and boot.ini is setup correctly.
> Maybe there's something wrong with the MBR.
> I haven't try running fdisk from FreeDOS though.
> I don't want to mess up with my MBR anymore :)
>
> Regards//Adiguna
>

> On 9/20/06, Peter.Leenders at computacenter.com <
> Peter.Leenders at computacenter.com> wrote:
> >
> >  Hello Adiguna,
> >
> > try to use fdisk from freedos. With it you can activate partitions and
> > write Masterbootrecords on other than the first harddisk. For complete
> > options run fdisk /?. By the way with freedos fdisk you can partion harddisk
> > > 128 GB (win 98 can't do by its own).
> >
> > Yours sincerely
> > Peter Leenders
> >

> > [image: Inactive hide details for "Adiguna Muhammad" <adiguna at gmail.com>]"Adiguna
> > Muhammad" <adiguna at gmail.com>
> >

> >      *"Adiguna Muhammad" <adiguna at gmail.com>*
> >             Sent by: syslinux-bounces at zytor.com
> >
> >             19.09.2006 12:18

> > syslinux at zytor.com
> > cc
> >

> > Subject
> >
> > Re: [syslinux] Fwd: Boot from USB without C Drive

Most likely your harddrive's primary partition isn't marked as
"active."  It's ok to run fdisk, just don't run fdisk /mbr.  And if
you prefer, the linux fdisk is equally good at this sort of thing
since it makes only the changes you tell it to.  Of course, if the
correct partition is indeed set to active, be sure the bios is
correctly set to boot the harddrive.  Finally, if all else fails, now
that you have a bootable CD drive, boot the XP cd and select the
recovery console.  Log in using your administrator password, and use
the bootfix program to reinstall the bootloader.