[syslinux] problem booting msdos with memdisk

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Sep 28 11:30:35 PDT 2006

Quinn Plattel wrote:
> Try using grub4dos.  I have had exactly the same problem as you on all
> IBM Thinkpad machines with syslinux's memdisk - Dell machines work
> fine though.  I reported this problem almost 2 years ago but no
> solution was found then.
>
> Use grub4dos v 0.4.1 - it is the most stable at the moment.  Here is
> an example syslinux.cfg:
>
> default grub.exe --config-file="map --mem dosfloppy.gz (fd0); map
> --hook; chainloader (fd0)+1; rootnoverify (fd0); boot"

Intriguing.  I tried to figure out what they did differently, and I
think I've figured out what they do.  I have pushed out a
syslinux-3.32-pre1, which includes a new "safeint" mode to MEMDISK.

Could you try this version of MEMDISK with the "safeint" option turned
on on one of the machines that break for you?  Also, does either "raw"
or "bigraw" work on those machines?