[syslinux] S3 Virge DX and vesamenu.c32

Nazo nazosan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 17:54:07 PDT 2006

On 9/28/06, Fuller, Erik C <EF200005 at ncr.com> wrote:
> I have a handful of machines with older S3 Virge video onboard.  They do
> not show the vesa menu and instead appear to revert to the older
> menu.c32.  Vesamenu.c32 works fine with every other machine I've tried.
>

> I thought this video chipset was Vesa compliant...  When I run the
> included vesainfo.c32 many different video modes are returned.
>
> Perhaps there's a readme I've overlooked with instructions on how to
> force a video mode?
>
> Thanks,
> Erik

Here's a question.  What level of VESA (VBE) are we using here with
this menu?  I seem to recall way back when I had an S3 Virge DX that I
had to rely on a TSR to complement its VESA capabilities quite a lot.
I'm thinking that it may be VBE 1.2 compliant, but, perhaps not 2.0
(particularly I'm just guessing that we may be using the framebuffer?)
 I can't remember for certain exactly since it has been on the order
of a decade since I had that card, but, it seems as if I remember
having to deal with this.  Then again, perhaps I remember needing the
TSR for VBE 3.0 support.