[syslinux] Large Floppy Images

syslinux-emails coniptor at hushmail.com
Wed Apr 11 03:06:04 PDT 2007

     I have periodically been trying to get memdisk to boot images
larger than your average 1.44Mb floppy and have always been
unsuccessful.  I cannot boot anything greater than 1.44Mb.  The systems
I'm attempting to do this with are not too old but they are not recent
either.  One is a Asus P5A and the other is a Intel SE440BX both with
the most recent bios firmware patches available applied.  If anyone
could provide links to GOOD known working images greater than 1.44Mb or
help me to troubleshoot this it would be greatly appriciated.

     My end goal is to be able to boot large floppy images with more
tools than would normally be available as well as to produce a single 5
or 8 meg image to perform msdos installs over the network.  I have
MS-DOS 6.2 and would essentially like to be able to merge the three
MS-DOS 6.2 install disks into one large floppy image I can boot over the
network and install from.  I can create a large hd image and boot that
with all files but then it receives a drive letter of C or greater and
the msdos setup will not install from C or greater.

     All recent attempts have been with the most recent copy of syslinux
available for Debian testing/etch/4.0 which is 3.31-4

     It would help to know if anyone else who had been having this
trouble booting large floppy images and getting "Non-System disk or disk
error" solved it and if so how and on what type of hardware?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help in anyway.