[syslinux] Large Floppy Images

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Wed Apr 11 07:10:16 PDT 2007

Maurice Massar schreef:
> I recommend fdstd.288 from the freedos-project as basis for
> a floppy disk image:
>
> http://wiki.fdos.org/Installation/BootDiskDownload
> http://www.fdos.org/bootdisks/autogen/FDSTD.288.gz

the FreeDOS images should work indeed. Likely the bootsector isn't
compatible with the goal of putting 3 MSDOS images on a single disk though.

Linux, and most likely some scripts in the Syslinux package, have the
ability to create nonstandard disks.

For DOS there might be RAMDISK programs that act as a floppy, then later
on make a disk image out of it.
http://www.geocities.com/jadoxa/shsufdrv/index.html  might allow you to
specify geometry parameters.

For Windows, there's WinImage. Grab your DOS 6.2x bootdisk from
www.bootdisk.com or something, then convert it to 2.88MB or even larger.

Several years ago I got hold of a 5.7MB diskette image..it had 8 heads
rather than 2. Was quite nice to get DOS+Win3.1+PQmagic running in a
single image, without having to reboot due to needing another program
which didn't fit on the diskette.

Bernd