[syslinux] Changing the ISOLINUX boot directory

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Apr 11 12:22:27 PDT 2007

Agent 2544 wrote:
> I'm new to the ISOLINUX development cycle, and I've tried a few times to
> come up with a solution. I'm trying to recompile isolinux.bin to look for
> the config files in a directory other than root, /boot/isolinux, or
> /isolinux. Ideally, this directory would be /lpc/isolinux.
>
> I've tried changing the plain text values in isolinux.asm to reflect these
> changes and recompiling using nasm, but when I arrange the files in the way
> that I need them to reside isolinux never finds the kernel. I'm using
> EasyBoot to boot the ISOLINUX shell. The structure looks something like
> this:
>
> <root>
>   <easyboot>
>     :..chntpwd.bif
>     :..isolinux.bin
>     :..loader.bin
>     :..chntpwdtest.ezb
>   <lpc>
>     <isolinux>
>         :..SYSLINUX.EXE
>         :..INITRD.CGZ
>         :..SCSI.CGZ
>         :..VMLINUZ
>         :..ISOLINUX.CFG
>         :..SYSLINUX.CFG
>         :..BOOT.MSG
>         :..BOOT.CAT
>         :..readme.txt
>
> Esentially, what should happen is when the disc boots, the EasyBoot menu
> shows up. The menu displays an option to run "chntpwd.bif" which references
> "isolinux.bin". EasyBoot takes care of redirecting ISOLINUX to think it's
> not in the subdirectory <easyboot> but I want ISOLINUX to find the config
> files in /lpc/isolinux rather than /boot/isolinux.

That should work, you have to change boot_dir in isolinux.asm; then make
sure that your filenames are valid when not in Rockridge/Joliet mode.

Oh, and none of this will work if you're not properly generating a boot
info table (with mkisofs -boot-info-table.)  Your organization will
break the hacks that sometimes allow that to be skipped.