[syslinux] Large Floppy Images

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Thu Apr 12 03:31:33 PDT 2007

Tom Mahoney (syslinux-emails) schreef:
> Bernd Blaauw wrote:

Syslinux mailing list has the annoying habit of a 'reply' being sent to
the author of the message by default, rather than sending to the mailing
list as default.
Don't know if that was your intention. I tend to 'fix' this by deleting
the 'to' field and changing 'cc' into 'to' :)
> The image did work and booted just fine. Where Freedos is concerned I
> would like a install image to boot from based off of the stable 1.0
> release it hit recently and it's not clear googling around that there is
> an official one yet.

Indeed, only a bootable CD is available, using Isolinux. For older
machines, there's Smart Boot Manager,
and a diskette image (no idea if it's also updated to FreeDOS 1.0 files)
available at
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.0/fdboot.img
> Also why would the bootsector not be compatible with my goal of
> combining the three images into one? The idea is simply to take a image
> of the first disk and increase it's size to 5, 8, or 10 megs. Mount the
> image and copy the files from the second and third disk. I want to be
> able to have one image with all files so obviously no disk swapping but
> a single image large enough to fit all files and install from.

Most operating systems only contain bootsectors for the specific OS
itself, not for likewise operating systems.
Thus, the FreeDOS bootdisk expects a system file called KERNEL.SYS
rather than IO.SYS or MSDOS.SYS
(or WINBOOT.SYS for all I care). I thought I'd read you intended to
merge the MSDOS disks, which means you're best off
starting with a proper MSDOS bootdisk, then expanding it, then inserting
the files from the remaining disks.

> "Non-System disk or disk error"
>
> The new error message I also get in dosemu when trying to boot from it
> as a virtual floppy:
> This is not a bootable disk.  Please insert a bootable floppy and
> press any key to try again ...

improper bootdisk then. Adding a DOS bootsector under Linux on an empty
disk image doesn't seem to be easy,
I remember some PERL script being used to implement a FreeDOS bootsector
for example.

Also, some FreeDOS people have worked on creating opensource bootsectors
that can boot MSDOS 3.3-7.00 and MSDOS-7.10-FAT16.
Win95/98 on FAT32 hasn't succeeded yet. No idea if that special version
of SYS is still available anywhere.
> I'll take a look but I'm curious how I would use that to solve my
> problem. Wouldn't I still need a bootable large floppy image that could
> fit the file decompressed by the ramdisk driver?

have a DOS system, load XMS driver, load ramdisk driver, use SYS on this
ramdisk that has (super-)floppy geometry, then add files,
then make a disk image of the ramdisk using a program like 'dd' or
diskcopy for example.
The resulting image should be put on your bootcd or PXE server or
whatever you intend.
> This leads me to a question I have to anyone who could answer. I can
> boot a linux kernel and pass it a initrd to create a ramdrive from. Can
> this also be accomplished with memdisk and a dos floppy image? Can a
> second file be passed to be accessed by the first?

Nope. Traditional way is have a bootdisk image, then load some drivers,
and mount a second disksource.
On that second disksource, you might have to mount another disk for
example. I doubt something like the MSDOS installer can handle that.

> I have winimage installed and I am not sure how I would create a image
> bigger than 2.88 to fit all the files.

I know it's possible, just not done it except for reading in a bootable
USB stick.

> That sounds real nice. Do you know how to create one of that size that
> boots with msdos or where I could download one? Does anyone know how.
> This sounds just like what I need. Again why would the msdos bootsector
> not be compatible with a floppy image larger than 2.88? I know freedos
> can handle 2.88 can msdos? Not all of these questions are directed right
> at you but to anyone who can answer. Thank you to all who have helped so
> far. =)

No idea how to recreate. I got the file contents but not the bootable
image file (file + bootsector) on my USB stick.
I would have to look up one of my outdated 'drivers+OS' cdroms but not
much chance I can find one of those again.
(it had Win2k drivers and operating systems like Knoppix, MSDOS,
ReactOS, FreeDOS and Win2000/XP on a single disk)

Bernd