[syslinux] Is There an Alternative to MEMDISK ?

Duke McAllister mr-roboto at linuxmail.org
Thu Apr 26 08:43:28 PDT 2007

This isn't an esp urgent issue, but I'd like to use a certain RAM diagnostic (Doc Mem) which I've already posted a note about a couple of months ago.  Simply won't work booting the floppy disk image via MEMDISK.  In the interim, I've tried to resolve this by changing things on my side.  I'm pretty sure it's a XMS incompatibility, as it fails differently depending on which of three diff HIMEM drivers I use.  I've even switched from using a Win98 boot floppy image to FreeDOS, but no joy.  Whatever the prob is, it's weird bec launching this disk image as the CD bootstrap works flawlessly and has done so for years.  But, if you boot the image via MEMDISK, even after making it all the way to the DOS prompt (where supposedly MEMDISK is completely out of the picture), Doc Mem consistently craps out.

I'm about ready to bail on this, but I figured to give it one more try, *if* a different secondary loader is avail.  To be sure, this isn't a distress call or bug report, bec at this level of system compatibility, only a couple of bytes in the "wrong" locations can make an otherwise reliable program fail.  I persist bec Doc Mem is worth a little "extra-curricular" effort, for its speed advantage over Memtest.  But if it's not to be, it's not to be.

By the way, the SYSLINUX/ISOLINUX toolkit rocks.  This minor hiccup notwithstanding, it has served well and far less troublesome than the alternatives, GRUB and LILO, particularly in the area of bootstrapping a CD/DVD.  TIA....

=
WakeBoards All Brands for Less
Find H. O. Connelly, OBrien, Gator, CWB, Liquid Force. Same day shipping.
http://a8-asy.a8ww.net/a8-ads/adftrclick?redirectid=d0e33c81d52ab757ccce77fc047aeeea