[syslinux] PXELINUX No network device problem

Pascal Vandeputte pascal.vandeputte at intec.ugent.be
Thu Apr 26 09:24:26 PDT 2007

Roger A. Katz wrote:
> Good morning.
> I am trying to do a dhcp/pxelinux network install for redhat linux.
> I have a new Dell computer with a Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gibabit
> controller.
>
> I am getting the following errors:
>
> Getting Kickstart file.
> ASSERT: no network device in ChooseNetworkInterface
> No network drivers for doing kickstart
> unable to bring up network.
>
> I've searched this lists archives for the word ASSERT and
> ChooseNetworkInterface and did not get any relevant hits.
>
> I was running an old version of PXELINUX.0 so I downloaded the latest
> version but get the same result.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  I would appreciate direct

Hi,

That looks like PXELINUX is working fine, but the RedHat kernel doesn't
autodetect your network card (and can't get the rest of the required
files). Are you trying to install a rather old Red Hat version?
By the way, KickStart is for fully automated installations (no user
interaction). Is this what you're attempting to do? If not, you probably
have a wrong option set on the "append" line.

Greetings,

Pascal Vandeputte