[syslinux] PXELINUX No network device problem

J.H. warthog19 at eaglescrag.net
Thu Apr 26 09:59:35 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 11:11 -0400, Roger A. Katz wrote:
> Good morning.
> I am trying to do a dhcp/pxelinux network install for redhat linux.
> I have a new Dell computer with a Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gibabit
> controller.

That's a relatively new pci-e based controller if I'm not mistaken.

> I am getting the following errors:
>
> Getting Kickstart file.
> ASSERT: no network device in ChooseNetworkInterface
> No network drivers for doing kickstart
> unable to bring up network.
>
> I've searched this lists archives for the word ASSERT and
> ChooseNetworkInterface and did not get any relevant hits.

Unfortunately this isn't a syslinux/pxelinux error.  The issue stems
from the version of redhat your attempting to install not having the
latest tg3 driver in the initrd, and thus can't find a network device to
boot from once it's loaded.  (I'm assuming your trying to install
something like RHEL 4.2 or 4.3 - or earlier, 4.4 should have it from my
testing)  You can recompile the tg3 driver (you can find it on
broadcom's website) and replace the one in the initrd which should help
- or install a newer version of Redhat.

- John 'Warthog9' Hawley