[syslinux] USB stick meets ISO system

J.H. warthog19 at eaglescrag.net
Sat Apr 28 11:37:51 PDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 12:57 +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
> Op 23-04-2007 om 17:59 schreef Christopher R. Parr:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm trying to build a Installation usb stick (4GB) with several Linux
> > System iso's on the stick.
> >
> > Now my question:
> >
> > Can I tell Syslinux to mount the required iso inti / and then to boot
> > that system?

Not really - you have the problem the syslinux (or memdisk) doesn't
internally know or want to know how to deal with CD iso's (the reasons
for that are in the archives)

There are some exceptions to this rule - Redhat/Fedora based installers
internal to their installation mechanism know how to deal with loop back
mounting an iso, so it's possible to use their kernel+initrd to boot
from pxelinux and than it will deal with the iso after that (basically
just loop back mount it).  I haven't seen many others that do this but
the rule more or less boils down to syslinux + cd iso's don't mix.

- John 'Warthog9' Hawley