[syslinux] USB stick meets ISO system

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Sat Apr 28 12:48:45 PDT 2007

J.H. schreef:
> There are some exceptions to this rule - Redhat/Fedora based installers
> internal to their installation mechanism know how to deal with loop back
> mounting an iso, so it's possible to use their kernel+initrd to boot
> from pxelinux and than it will deal with the iso after that (basically
> just loop back mount it).  I haven't seen many others that do this but
> the rule more or less boils down to syslinux + cd iso's don't mix.

FreeDOS is also able to do so but that's because the CD redirector
(SHSUCDX) allows stacking,
thus first mounting the CD, then the ISO that's on the CD. The init
scripts of the various (linux-)distributions need to contain code to
mount (not: boot) the ISO, then find the rest of the scripts or programs
inside the ISO and run them.

To boot a random ISO that's an image of a bootable operating system,
only GRUB and Smart Boot Manager come to mind with respect to
implementing a software built 'boot iso9660' bios stack.

Not even projects like LinuxBIOS have a CD booting stack, instead they
support reading the isolinux.cfg and from there find the (Linux)kernel
that needs to be run. Can't backup this claim with proof though, it's
just something I recall having read some years ago.

Bernd