[syslinux] SYSLINUX Digest, Vol 49, Issue 19

Duke McAllister mr-roboto at linuxmail.org
Sat Apr 28 18:39:40 PDT 2007

> Message: 5
> Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 11:37:51 -0700
> From: "J.H." <warthog19 at eaglescrag.net>
> Subject: Re: [syslinux] USB stick meets ISO system
> To: Geert Stappers <stappers at stappers.nl>
> Cc: syslinux at zytor.com
>
> On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 12:57 +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
> > Op 23-04-2007 om 17:59 schreef Christopher R. Parr:
> > > Hi!
> > > System iso's on the stick.
> > > that system?
> > >

> Not really - you have the problem the syslinux (or memdisk) doesn't
> internally know or want to know how to deal with CD iso's (the reasons
> for that are in the archives)
>
> There are some exceptions to this rule - Redhat/Fedora based installers
> internal to their installation mechanism know how to deal with loop back
> mounting an iso, so it's possible to use their kernel+initrd to boot
> from pxelinux and than it will deal with the iso after that (basically
> just loop back mount it).  I haven't seen many others that do this but
> the rule more or less boils down to syslinux + cd iso's don't mix.
>
> - John 'Warthog9' Hawley

John:  There are a few popular distros that do permit this.  Knoppix and the
ones based on the Linux-Live scripts are ones that I'm most familiar with.
OTOH, mounting an ISO from linuxrc isn't as tough as writing an ISO-compatible
memdisk.  It mite take a few days, but given that there are several working
examples of doing this very task, the orig inquiry illustrates a lack of
understanding of 'hacking' a custom solution.  *And* one mite realize a
solution w/o even touching the init ramdisk, by dismantling the indiv ISOs and
"wiring" their contents into a custom SYSLINUX menu.

Yes, multiple solutions are possible and available...

=
Conference Hotels in New York City
Can't find that perfect conference venue? We have a network of hotels to help. All we do is find hotels for planners. Call today for a quote.
http://a8-asy.a8ww.net/a8-ads/adftrclick?redirectid=adb3bdfa83b1da2384592e082fbb4ec6