[syslinux] PXE, Intel, and FC4 problems

Kevin G. J. Freels kevin at westies.com
Wed Aug 1 11:00:44 PDT 2007

> 1. Expand the FC4 initrd (it should be a compressed ext2 image or a
> compressed cpio archive);
> 2. Expand the file modules/modules.cgz. It's a compressed cpio archive;
> 3. Replace the original e1000 driver with the one that works;
> 4. re-create the file modules.cgz (cpio -Hnewc | gzip > modules.cgz);
> 5. re-create the initrd;
> 6. save the new iso or replace the initrd in the tftp server.

I actually did all that (several times, I learned that the initrd
changed from the ext2 image to a cpio archive after FC2). The
modules.cgz has op hex codes for the cards based (I think) on the card
revision. I tried using the one that was included in FC4 and the one
that was included with FC6, but neither worked.

Without getting into serious hardware specs, I have no idea how to get
the information for the op code I need for the correct entry in the
modules.cgz file for that rev of the card.

....k
-=-=-=-