[syslinux] Problem booting from CF/SD cards and USB Flashdrives using syslinux

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sun Aug 19 13:00:37 PDT 2007

c.lee111 at gmail.com wrote:
> [root at localhost mystuff]# /usr/share/syslinux/mkdiskimage -z /dev/sdg 0 64 32
> [root at localhost mystuff]# syslinux /dev/sdg1
>
> PS. This change to using mkdiskimage would most likely work better than
> the above since it handles larger (1 gig+) SD/CF/USB Flashdrives better.
>
> Well, it does on my system....
>
> [root at localhost clee2]# /usr/share/syslinux/mkdiskimage -z /dev/sdg 0 255 63
> [root at localhost clee2]# syslinux /dev/sdg1

-z is redundant with "64 32".  Either way, there are a *LOT* of systems
in the field which will only correctly to USB drives with zipdrive
geometry, so I think this may very well be bad advice.  However, it's
hard to say what will work on more systems, given how utterly rotten the
situation in the field is.