[syslinux] SYSLINUX 3.54-pre1 (bug fix release candidate)

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Dec 10 14:55:13 PST 2007

I just uploaded SYSLINUX 3.54-pre1.

This is a release candidate, since it fixes a bug which I considers
significant.  As it turns out, the problem with the graphical menu under
Qemu/KVM (requiring -std-vga) was actually an invalid assumption that
SYSLINUX was making, and didn't verify.  Fixing the assumption was easy
enough to do, so I have fixed it.

Added is also a new set of menu layout commands, "menu disable", "menu
indent" and "menu separator", which can be used to create a hierarchial
menu look.  Thanks to an anonymous contributor for this code.

	-hpa

P.S. The assumption in question was that packed-pixel modes are densely
packed, with one scan line immediately following another.  This is
normally the case, but VESA doesn't require it, and the VESA BIOS
included with Qemu doesn't set up its 640x480x24 mode this way -- and
doesn't even have a 640x480x32 mode.  Why this is is somewhat confusing
to me, since it generally doesn't make sense; it might be an attempt to
mimic the real Cirrus Logic BIOS.  Either way, SYSLINUX should either
verify the assumption (and reject unsuitable modes) or accept them; I
chose the latter option since it was easy to do.