[syslinux] bootstapping linux from windows/windows shell

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Tue Dec 11 00:09:14 PST 2007

Op 10-12-2007 om 21:28 schreef Constantine Gavrilov:
> I meant rebooting Windows to another OS (linux) with a help of a
> DOS/Windows program.

Sounds like a request for LOADLIN.EXE

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loadlin for more information.

> Jacob Alifrangis wrote:
> > No, Windows cannot start another operating system within itself unless
> > it is running as a vm, which windows treats as an executable, do a
> > little bit of research on it at www.vmware.com

Topquoters are allways funny.
It must be their habit of providing an answer _before_ the question.

Stating "Windows cannot start another operating system" is lacking
imagination. A program that is in control can everything. An Operating
System could prevent some action, but there is priviledge code in,
example given, device drivers, that isn't (or less) restricted.
It takes more then doing "a little bit of research".

Cheers
Geert Stappers