[syslinux] bootstapping linux from windows/windows shell

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Dec 11 09:10:54 PST 2007

Geert Stappers wrote:

> Topquoters are allways funny.
> It must be their habit of providing an answer _before_ the question.
>
> Stating "Windows cannot start another operating system" is lacking
> imagination. A program that is in control can everything. An Operating
> System could prevent some action, but there is priviledge code in,
> example given, device drivers, that isn't (or less) restricted.
> It takes more then doing "a little bit of research".

The real b*tch is convincing said operating system to put the machine
back in a state where another OS can take over.

When it comes to LOADLIN, it really needs a new maintainer.  I recently
looked at it after rewriting the x86 setup code in the Linux kernel, and
it is shock-full of hardcoded limits which are about to break or already
have been broken.