[syslinux] SYSLINUX doesn't build on RedHat 4

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Sun Dec 16 02:10:28 PST 2007

> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> > It's an issue with gas, not with gcc.
>> >
>> > If you remove the -Wa,-a... argument from mbr/Makefile you can probably
>> > get it to build.  -a is supposed to be list file, not "-alternate".

Yes, that fixes "make" on RedHat RHEL4.  Thanks a lot.

> Anyway... the obvious workaround is to use "make installer" (see
> distrib.doc).  You shouldn't need to rebuild the distributed binaries on
> an old system.

Thanks.  I just needed a few SYSLINUX binaries for PXE booting and I didn't
realize that distrib.doc contained information relevant for me.  Turns out
that I probably don't need to "make" at all !  I'm trying to document
the use of PXELINUX for administrators of Linux clusters, see
https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/niflheim/PXE-booting  (comments welcomed :-).

/Ole