[syslinux] Regression in SYSLINUX 3.35?

Andrew Stuart andrew at shopcusa.com
Thu Feb 1 22:05:33 PST 2007

It appears there may be a regression with the keeppxe option and/or the
ability
to keep the pxe stack available to programs.

I have noticed this with a few different things now, most notably
attempting to
boot FreeBSD's pxeboot[.0], although I have a old? linux kernel/initrd that
exhibits the same symptoms.

In the case of FreeBSD it loads pxeboot.0, and then spews messages about not
being able to open pxenet0, etc.

After trying on various machines, with various nics, I tried a known
good machine and
it failed as well. The nic's ranged from 3com 3c905/intel pro 100/1000,
realtek onboard,
and a sis onboard. I rolled back to pxelinux.0 v 3.30 which worked, then
moved up to v 3.31
which also works as expected.

I did not try stepping through the betas as I don't have the time at
this moment, although I
may be able to do that tomorrow.

The other option if you would like, Is i can zip up the files needed to
boot FreeBSD and either
mail them off list, or provide a url for download.

-Andrew