[syslinux] Version 3.35 problems with Broadcom BCM5780 chipset

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Feb 2 09:55:41 PST 2007

Ole Holm Nielsen wrote:

> Sorry, I can't offer you an IBM server :-)  Do you have any friends
> in IBM who could help out ?

I don't have any contacts at IBM which can get me a particular kind of
server, and even then it might be BIOS version dependent, etc.

Please try out the 3.32-pre* and 3.35-pre* prepatches (or, if you're
familiar with git, get the git repository and do a git-bisect.)  The
smaller a changeset I can get this down to the more likely I am at
actually resolving anything.

> I'd be happy to test any SYSLINUX test code,
> but I'm an utter amateur on diagnosing these hardware-related issues...
>
> The AMD Opteron BIOS has some setting "Memory Hole Adjustmend" and a
> "4GB Memory Hole Size".  Could this feature somehow affect SYSLINUX ?
> I do not understand this feature, and whether it should be enabled or
> disabled (we want maximum performance from these compute servers).
> Does anyone have pointers to authoritative info on the AMD memory hole ?

It totally depends on what I/O you have in the system.