[syslinux] without msdos filesystem

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Tue Feb 6 09:03:15 PST 2007

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 08:45:28AM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:
> >>You're getting a division by zero somehow.  Since it goes away on
> >>rebuild it'd be hard to debug, but I might be able to send you a binary
> >>to run under gdb.
> >
> >Where are you building the packages?
> >
> >Fedora Core 6 had a number of changes that caused its binaries to die
> >with 'Floating point exception' if run on older systems. I suspected the
> >new DT_GNU_HASH was the cause, but I never tested.
> >

> I've been building them on an FC6 system, indeed.  That's very disturbing.

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc6/en_US/sn-Devel.html#id2956225

<quote>
Fedora developers have introduced changes in the ELF .hash section that
provides symbols for dynamic linking. This new .gnu.hash section, which
is produced with the new default --hash-style=gnu option for gcc, serves
the same purpose as previous hash sections. It provides, however, an
approximately 50% increase in dynamic linking speed. Binaries and
libraries produced with the new hashing function are incompatible with
older glibc and dynamic linker releases. To use the old-style hashing
routines for compatibility with older glibc-based systems, pass the
--hash-style=sysv option instead.
</quote>

There's also --hash-style=both, that should add both hashes. From
gcc -dumpspecs (did just now an yum update), the default hash style is
"gnu", not "both".

--
lfr
0/0