[syslinux] Syslinux: Broken file reading for fat16 with 3.35+?

Ram Yalamanchili ramyinc at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 14:15:25 PST 2007

After trying for an hour or two, I couldn't get extlinux to work at all.

I followed directions at: http://syslinux.zytor.com/extlinux.php

Assuming /dev/sdc is my USB key, i did:

fdisk - create primary partition 1 with ext3.
mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdc1
mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/sdc1
pushd /mnt/sdc1
extlinux -i . (also tried extlinux -i -z .)
cp /tmp/syslinux.cfg extlinux.conf (also copied to extlinux.cfg,
syslinux.cfg just in case)
popd
umount /mnt/sdc1
dd if=mbr.bin of=/dev/sdc

try to boot machine.

Got "Missing Operating System" as the error. This is with 3.32pre8
which works fine for me on syslinux. I'll be done for the rest of the
week, so Peter, if you would like any further feedback from me, i can
try to before today evening or on monday 12th.

--
Ram