[syslinux] SYSLINUX 3.36-pre6 (release candidate)

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Feb 8 10:15:47 PST 2007

Andrew Stuart wrote:
> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> I have, hopefully, found and fixed the issue with non-kernel binaries
>> that appeared in 3.35.  As a result, I have pushed out 3.36-pre6 and am
>> classifying it as a release candidate.  Please try it out, especially if
>> you have had problems with 3.35.
>>
>> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/Testing/
>>
>> 	-hpa
>>
> Unfortunately it doesn't fix my regression. I still haven't had time to
> step through the various releases between 3.31 and 3.35 to figure out
> when it broke. For reference, I am talking about the thread I started
> "[syslinux] Regression in SYSLINUX 3.35?" which I never saw a reply to.
> I don't know if you saw it or not.
>
> I have uploaded my (basic) setup for you to test with.
> www.shopcusa.com/testing/freebsd-test.tgz extract it to the root of your
> tftp directory, (warning: it extracts to a directory called boot). edit
> your menu / use command line and call boot/freebsd.0
>
> You should see a bunch of errors about pxe_open: netif_open() failed.  I
> tested this with 3.36-pre6 and the problem still exists.  If I get some
> time today, I will see if I can track it down further.

Hi there,

I was able to reproduce this here using this tarball and quickly
bisected it to a change between 3.32-pre3 and -pre4.  The only possible
changeset in that range is 0a9bdf66956cff22f334c4f9db4e70c8fc5364ab,
"When chainloading, set ES:DI to point to the $PnP ICS if available."
Quickly looking up what is increasingly becoming obvious, it reveals
that as noble a sentiment as that was, it's just flat-out wrong for PXE,
which requires ES:BX to point to the PXENV+ structure on entry.

I didn't notice this error chainloading pxelinux itself, because
pxelinux has multiple layers of fallbacks for obtaining the PXENV+ and
!PXE structures -- there is so many buggy PXE stacks out there, and in
this case, PXELINUX itself was one :-/

Anyway, I just pushed out 3.36-pre7... make that 3.36-pre8, which should
fix this.  I really want 3.36 out this Saturday, so I would appreciate
any testing.