[syslinux] HP DL380 G2 does not boot off local disk from PXE boot menu

Yiping Zhang yiping at collab.net
Thu Feb 8 16:30:01 PST 2007

Hi, all:

I can't make my HP DL380 G2 servers to boot off local disk by using
"default local" line in my PXE boot menu.

For fully automated server setups, I have configured all my DL380
servers to always do PXE boot. By manipulating the default boot option
in boot menu, I can control a server whether to install a new OS via
kickstart or just boot off local disk.  This scheme works well with
DL380 G3/G4/G5, but it doesn't work with any of my DL380 G2's.

For G2's, if it PXE boots first, then it won't be able to continue boot
off the local disk, it just hangs with following output on screen:

PXELINUX 2.06 2003-08-22 Copyright (C) 1999-2003 H. Peter Anvin
UNDI data segment at:   00093EF0
UNDI data segment size: 94B0
Attempting Boot From Hard Drive (C:)

Any clues what's going on here?

G2 BIOS settings:  (firmware has been upgraded to latest firmware CD
version 7.50 for G2's)

In "Standard Boot Order (IPL)" menu, I have:
    IPL 1: CD-ROM
    IPL 2: floppy drive (A)
    IPL 3: PCI Embedded Compaq NC3163 10/100 Fast Ethernet NIC Port 1
    IPL 4: Hard Drive (C:) (See Boot Controller Order)

In "Boot Controller Order" menu, I didn't change anything:
    Ctlr:1  Compaq Smart Array 5i
    Ctlr:2  Integrated PCI IDE controller

My kickstart server runs on RHEL3, and the image to install is also
RHEL3.

The PXE boot menu is as follows:
    #
    serial 0 9600
    prompt 1
    timeout 30
    display boothelp.txt
    default local

    label ks-nofb
    kernel vmlinuz-EL3-i386
    append ksdevice=eth0 initrd=initrd-EL3-i386
ks=nfs:10.1.1.1:/dist/ks.cfg console=ttyS0,9600n8 console=tty0 nofb

    label local
    localboot 0

Thanks for the help !

Yiping