[syslinux] slow loading after using timeout and vesamenu.c32

Per Jessen per at computer.org
Sat Feb 10 09:49:08 PST 2007

All,

I've been setting up an etherboot-PXE-syslinux environment for booting a
number of HP/Compaq servers.  Today I was playing around with using
vesamenu and background pictures, and I noticed a weird behaviour when
I used vesamenu.c32 with and without a timeout.  I will obviously be
needing a timeout for unattended operation, but whilst I was testing I
had it disabled most of the time.  However, when I finally enabled the
timeout, I noticed the loading of the boot-image (linux something)
suddenly took much longer - much longer than I had the patience to wait
for.  We're talking several minutes instead of a few seconds.

What am I doing wrong?  (I'll post config files as needed, but I thought
someone might recognise the behaviour?).

/Per Jessen, Zürich