[syslinux] syslinux-3.36 and 3.35 compilation broke /dev/null

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Mon Feb 12 02:40:24 PST 2007

On Monday 12 February 2007, Gilles Espinasse wrote:
> It's necessary on ipcop actually.
> We have a master script that compile 182 scripts and they mix files

s|necessary|required by our broken/limited build system|

> Concerning environnement, we have two flavors:
> - the oldest is gcc-3.3.3, binutils-2.15.90.0.3, make-3.80
> - the most recent is gcc-3.4.5 , binutils-2.16.1, make-3.80
> Both show a broken /dev/null

gcc is broken for all versions before the 4.1.0 release series ... i dont know
the exact version where binutils stopped unlinking /dev/null, but i know it's
broken in 2.15.90.0.3 but fixed in 2.16.1

so i guess the choice here is simple: change all of the gcc_ok() macros in the
build system to not use /dev/null as the temp output file, or tell users to
stop wrongly building as root and/or using old versions of the toolchain

i'd go the latter route myself, but i can be a bit undiplomatic with this sort
of thing ;)
-mike