[syslinux] [PXELINUX]A PXE booting question, please

J.H. warthog19 at eaglescrag.net
Wed Feb 14 15:20:27 PST 2007

> Now I am wondering sending out this DHCP request is done by PXELINUX or
> the linux kernel, or something else. Can we just use the TCP/IP ability
> of the PXE to get the network access, which is done at the earliest
> stage like IP request and TFTP transfer.

During an install like that you will see 2 dhcp requests, one when the
system boots and PXE does it's request to obtain a dhcp address and
which server to talk to for tftp and such.  This sounds like it's worked
fine for you.

The second request comes in when the os (Linux) does a request to obtain
it's ip address and such, this is where you are failing.  I'm going to
go out on a limb and guess that Redhat 7.3 does not support this card
considering it's a relatively recent chipset and Redhat 7.3 is quite
old.  You may need a driver disc or something similar to get it to even
recognize the network card, or use a completely different network card
with RH7.3.

- John 'Warthog9' Hawley