[syslinux] [PXELINUX]A PXE booting question, please

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Wed Feb 14 15:23:15 PST 2007

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 10:00:30AM +1100, Eric Tang wrote:
> Now I am wondering sending out this DHCP request is done by PXELINUX or
> the linux kernel, or something else. Can we just use the TCP/IP ability
> of the PXE to get the network access, which is done at the earliest
> stage like IP request and TFTP transfer.

Anaconda, the installer running under Linux.

> Can anyone help, please? How can I get my work done?

You need to add the network card driver to the initrd. Or recompile the
kernel with it integrated.

As for the first case, you'll have to add the module to modules.cgz (a
compressed cpio archive), IIRC. There's probably some files you also
need to update that specify module dependencies and PCI IDs to device
drivers.

Alternatively, you could use a driver disk, but then there wouldn't be
much point in booting via network.

Also, there may be different initrds with different modules according to
expected usage (network install, pcmcia install, etc.; see images/ on
the ISO).

--
lfr
0/0