[syslinux] MEMDISK and Doc Memory

Duke McAllister mr-roboto at linuxmail.org
Sun Feb 18 05:37:46 PST 2007

Peter:  Just wanted to report yet another happy customer for
ISOLINUX.  Have been using it successfully for several months
as the loader/menu for my bootable CD/DVD projects.  ISOLINUX
isn't nearly as quirky as GRUB and given the latest improvement
on the documentation front, I even have the graphical splssh+menu
I looked to GRUB for.  Thank you very much.

I have one observation and potential bug to report.  For years,
I've had a certain boot floppy I use for diagnostic work.  It's
a WIN98 boot floppy incl Doc Memory, the RAM diagnostic.  Unfortunately,
the ever-reliable Doc Memory will not boot from a floppy image
loaded by MEMDISK.  It simply crashes.  During testing under VMWare,
it starts testing RAM, but it begins by checking a very high range of
RAM addresses and almost immed crashes w/ a stack fault.  When
booting normally, the program locks immed upon engaging the RAM
test sequence.

I've recently confirmed that the floppy image itself hasn't been
corrupted by making/testing a floppy from the image file.  I haven't
tried MEMDISK from the 3.36 release, as I don't recall any mention of
updates to the utility in the change log.

If it meaningful, I can provide an image file.  Thanx again for
excellent software....

=