[syslinux] Booting non Linux Os

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Feb 22 08:39:49 PST 2007

Mario Charest wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been trying to use PXELINUX to boot a non Linux OS (QNX6).  It
> works if I set the image to be of type .bs (BOOT SECTOR).  However this
> only works if the file is below ~550K. If I go over that size the screen
> gets fill with gargabe ;-) I think that's because the image is meant to
> be load by the QNX6 loader. It doesn't have a BIOS signature but rather
> a custom signature.  I'm not sure because I don't really know what I'm
> talking about !

Well, a .bs image loads in low memory, which is limited to about 600K,
so that makes sense.

> I have tried to generate an image in ELF format but that didn't work at
> all (it works in GRUB which is why I gave it a try)

I'd like to add new formats using com32 modules, rather than adding them
in the core code, unless they are really extremely simple.  mboot.c32 is
a good example; it can load multiboot-compliant ELF images (which I
don't know if that is.)