[syslinux] Disk-On-Chip problem/question

Joe N. jnardone at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 07:11:54 PST 2007

Hi all,

I've done a lot of searching (on this list and elsewhere) and I'm stuck
at a point where I don't know what to try next.

I'm trying to boot Linux off of a m-systems DOC using SYSLINUX 3.31.

Here's what I have thusfar:

1) formatted the DOC using m-system's DFORMAT tool (installs the BIOS
extension)
2) Created a C partition (FAT16)
3) Run  syslinux c:  (I've also tried syslinux -s c:)

4) Copied my kernel, initrd, and syslinux.cfg to C:\

My syslinux.cfg is very simple:

	default kernel
	append initrd=initrd root=/dev/ram0

5) When I reboot, SYSLINUX loads, and loads the kernel and initrd.  It
then displays "Ready."
6) Nothing happens at this point, presumably because the kernel doesn't
get executed.

I know the kernel and initrd are good.  If I copy the
kernel/initrd/syslinux.cfg to a hard drive then this loads and boots
correctly.

What I'm not sure of is:
1) Should this "just work"?  Or does SYSLINUX need any additional
patching for DOC?
2) My initrd IS my root filesystem; it does not launch a 2nd stage.
Does my kernel need the DOC driver?  (I would expect my kernel to at
least boot, given that SYSLINUX has already loaded it, so I don't think
that's my problem, or at least my current one.)

Is there any way to troubleshoot the steps after the kernel/initrd are
loaded and as it tries to boot the kernel?

Thanks for any info.

Joe