[syslinux] How to press F1 over a serial console?

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Feb 28 06:35:57 PST 2007

Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> Yes, the BIOS config says VT100/VT200 emulation (the other choice is
> ANSI).  Sadly, the above sequence does not work.  Still, I can get
> into the setup program (three unsuccessful boots will automatically
> lead you there), where I can test various combinations for unlimited
> time.  But already pressing ESC results in some action, I don't have a
> chance for typing in sequences...  Must I program the telnet client or
> the terminal emulator for sending the sequence 'instantenously'?

Typically, yes; because [Esc] itself is a key, the serial port receive
code has to rely on timeouts to distinguish the [Esc] key from a sequence.

Horrible hack.  Absolutely horrible.

That, of course, doesn't mean your serial port receive code does it
correctly.

> To mention something even on topic, I have the impression that the VGA
> graphics (the ^X feature) is displayed even if CONSOLE 0, trashing the
> first screen over the serial line.

Can you test that out on a machine with a conventional console?