[syslinux] USB Flash disk with sector size 2048

Francois Boisson user.antispam at maison.homelinux.net
Wed Jan 10 14:00:39 PST 2007

Hello every one an a pretty new year.

I'm making a derivative a the Feather linux-live which can be found
here:
http://franboisson.homeip.net/clef/ClefAgreg.iso

Everything works find except with USB key with sector size different
then 512 (2048 in my case). I look at the source of syslinux and change
the following:

* The test in syslxmod.c
* Change each time I see SECTOR_SHIFT=9 in SECTOR_SHIFT=11

It's compile fine but when I use syslinux on the key
# syslinux /dev/sda1
gives a segfault.
An strace gives

***
rt_sigaction(SIGINT, {SIG_DFL}, NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGQUIT, {SIG_DFL}, NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, [], NULL, 8) = 0
--- SIGCHLD (Child exited) @ 0 (0) ---
unlink("/tmp/syslinux-mtools-BIL09s")   = 0
pread(3, "\353<\220mkdosfs\0\0\10\10\1\0\2\0\2\0\0\370=\0 \0@\0\0"...,
512, 0) = 512
--- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
+++ killed by SIGSEGV +++
***
No ldlinux.sys on the key and key does not boot.
Can someone help me or tell me around where I must look to find the bug.

Thanks for help.

François Boisson