[syslinux] USB Flash disk with sector size 2048

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Jan 11 14:10:32 PST 2007

Francois Boisson wrote:
> Le Thu, 11 Jan 2007 19:21:35 +0100
> stappers at stappers.nl (Geert Stappers) a écrit:
>
>>> rt_sigaction(SIGINT, {SIG_DFL}, NULL, 8) = 0
>>> rt_sigaction(SIGQUIT, {SIG_DFL}, NULL, 8) = 0
>>> rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, [], NULL, 8) = 0
>>> --- SIGCHLD (Child exited) @ 0 (0) ---
>>> unlink("/tmp/syslinux-mtools-BIL09s")   = 0
>>> pread(3, "\353<\220mkdosfs\0\0\10\10\1\0\2\0\2\0\0\370=\0 \0@\0\0"...,512, 0) = 512
>> 512, I would expect 2048 ...
>>
> Thanks for answer, I have found the pread call and see a sectorsize
> variable. I also see au buffer which have a size of 512. But there is
> not many comments in this code :(

The thing is, the boot sector code is only 512 bytes no matter what.
However, it's highly likely that the code is littered with 512-byte
assumptions, since I have, in 13 years, never seen a bootable device
with another sector size (except CD-ROMs in native mode, which use
isolinux.)