[syslinux] memdisk, free memory

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Thu Jan 18 07:39:23 PST 2007

Michael Redinger wrote:
> I am having trouble with memdisk not freeing all all memory - mem /c
> shows only about 570K memory (and I happen to need that extra memory in
> DOS ... :-( ).

Feel free to list the complete MEM /C output (and config.sys and
autoexec.bat contents) either in this list or for example the FreeDOS
development list.
That way you can see if it's a PXE issue or not. When using MEMDISK on
top of Isolinux, only 2KB of conventional RAM is eaten away.
The rest is eaten away by plain old DOS programs (kernel, shell,
drivers) which can be optimised using old DOS tricks.

How much memory do you need in DOS, and does that include network access
as well through MC Client?
Or are you just booting from network, then doing something on local
machine instead? (get rid of the KEEPPXE statement then in pxelinux's
config file).

hope this helps a little bit,

Bernd