[syslinux] PXE question

Jonathan jonathan at spinea.se
Wed Jan 24 08:04:14 PST 2007

Hello,

I run a cluster for computer game servers which are started on demand
by users who book them. I have 15 nodes, some of them netbooted, some
of them not. Recently i replaced a couple of old netbooted machines
with new ones (with harddrives) for better performance. Inside the
new boxes i used NICs from the old machines that i had taken out of
the cluster and netboot.

A day or so after i had done it i checked back on the cluster to see
if it was running okay, and noticed several of the netbooted nodes
where down, so i went to the server room to investigate:

Each machine gets to the part where the kernel loads the PS/2 driver,
and then the screen turns black, instantly.

What can cause this? I thought about network conflicts because i'd
used NICs from the replaced machines, but disconnecting them and
restarting the switch didn't help.

/Jonathan