[syslinux] vesamenu causing screen lock-up

Teun syslinux at teund.dds.nl
Wed Jan 24 09:55:14 PST 2007

Dear all,

I have recently been playing with vesamenu.c32. It seems to work quite
well on my hardware test machines. However, it's not really working as
expected on VMWare-based test machines.
(It's really nice to have a slick background image!)

As soon as i choose an option and boot a linux kernel, the menu does
not go away.
Instead i'm left with an unresponsive menu stuck om the screen. The
machine does boot though, it's just not showing the console/kernel
messages. (I know it boots because later on i can log in to it and
everything looks normal.)

I've been fiddling with the code to try and force the screen back in
to text mode. No luck yet though. (Not sure if this even is the
problem/related.)

Any thoughts on what might be wrong here?
If any further info is needed please ask me...

Thanks,
Teun