[syslinux] vesamenu.c32 and cat.c32

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Sat Jan 27 14:44:58 PST 2007

On 27 Jan 2007 at 10:15, Murali (  wrote:

Date sent:      	Sat, 27 Jan 2007 10:15:42 -0800
From:           	"Murali (à®®à¯à®°à®³à®¿ à®oணபதி)"
	<murali at google.com>
To:             	"Geert Stappers" <stappers at stappers.nl>
Copies to:      	syslinux at zytor.com
Subject:        	Re: [syslinux] vesamenu.c32 and cat.c32

> On 1/27/07, Geert Stappers <stappers at stappers.nl> wrote:
> > Op 26-01-2007 om 01:59 schreef Michael D. Setzer II:
> > >
> > > I have done some additional testing, and gotten it a bit close to what I was
> > > looking for. I had to modify the cat.c to eliminate the printing of the
> > > arguments and file name, and added a Press Enter to return menu line.
> >
> > By heart ( or is it "from (human) memory" ) was the original problem
> > to display some text from a menu.
> >
> > So now there is a modified cat.c32, that should be named catwithreturn.c32
> > (or even "pager.c32", "more.c32" and alike for further enhancement)
> > (maybye would "display.c32" also fit)
>
> There is already a display.c32 along in the advanced menu which is
> essentially displays a long text file (longer than one screenful is
> fine).

Thanks for the information. I was trying to stick with the vesamenu.c32 or
menu.c32 since I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible. It currently uses
the default menuing system without the menus, but it has the F1 key help
files that don't work with the menus. I was just trying to get the same kind of
information.

The original little messages are just 1 screen or less, and with the shorter
one the cat.c32 has debugging info that prints at the top. It also just left the
user with a boot prompt, and no clear instruction on what to do next. With
about 3000 downloads a month, I have all kinds of users, and want to make
it simple and as compatible with all hardware. Just had a number of emails
with a user that was getting kernel panics. Turned out he was entering the
kernel name in all lower case, but in the original emails, he was always
typing the kernel he was using correctly. I could just rename kernels to
single letter or all lower case names, but the vesamenu and menu make that
unnecessary, since the user can select using the arrows or hotkey.

> --
> Murali
>
>   ,
> (What we know is only a handful, what we dont is the rest of the world)

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu
Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC TOTAL CREDITS
SETI at HOME/EINSTEIN at HOME/ROSETTA at HOME
Total Credits 2669727.749553
Total Credits 462929.094193
Total Credits 4481.020031