[syslinux] SYSLINUX 3.35 released

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Jan 29 08:19:01 PST 2007

Sven Geggus wrote:

> Any particular reason, why the directory given with -d is not part of the
> search sequence?

Yes, although one can argue it isn't a *good* reason.

The reason is that the installer would have to be able to do a
VFAT-to-MSDOS transformation on the entire path in order to encode it in
ldlinux.sys (encoding something like the starting sector of a directory
is unsafe in FAT, since it's not guaranteed to stay put.)

Not all environments can do that natively, which means I would have had
to write libfat code for it, and that would have made it take a lot longer.

In general I consider that a potential future addition.

> Many thanks for subdirectory support anyway.

:)