[syslinux] version 3.35 boot error

Jason Vasquez jvasquez at kennesaw.edu
Tue Jan 30 17:55:33 PST 2007

Nice to see the venerable syslinux updated to version 3.35.  I did
happen to encounter an issue with the latest release though. I performed
'syslinux -f' on a 32MB USB drive and all seemed well...until I tried to
boot from it.  Error message and drive details below:

 - - -
/error message:
SYSLINUX 3.35 2007-01-28 EBIOS
Invalid or corrupt kernel image.
boot:

/bootable USB drive contents:
ldlinux.sys
memdisk
vesamenu.c32
syslinux.cfg
seatool.img

/syslinux.cfg contents:
DEFAULT vesamenu.c32
PROMPT 0

MENU TITLE HDD Diagnostics

LABEL seagate
MENU LABEL ^SeaTools
KERNEL memdisk
APPEND initrd=seatool.img
 - - -

Only by typing 'memdisk initrd=seatool.img' at the boot: prompt will
the system then boot successfully.  Notably, reverting to SYSLINUX 3.31
will correctly load the graphical menu and boot the .img file
successfully when selecting the menu item.  I've tried 3.35 again and
again with the same results.  Any idea why 3.35 reports error with the
kernel image, but 3.31 works?  Any help is appreciated, sir.