[syslinux] Request for enlightenment..

Ian McDonald iam at st-andrews.ac.uk
Thu Jul 5 12:53:11 PDT 2007

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Ian McDonald wrote:
>> I did kind of wonder if there was a way of getting the kernel to look at
>> the bios information.
>
> Nope.  A MEMDISK-on-Linux driver could be written, but there has been
> zero interest so far.  Also, using memdisk to boot Linux is rather silly.

I know it's a wee bit strange, but I was rather taken by the idea of
being able to just build a small linux install in vmware, make
modifications to it as a running system, then boot said installation
trivially using memdisk, having dd'd a copy of the disk (from a pxelinux
image we use for our deployment system already).

I'll just build a kernel, and use a large initrd as I've done in the
past, but that has the disadvantage of not being so easily modifiable as
  a "running" install. What I'm attempting to do is build a small linux
PXE-able system so I can apply a SAS backplane firmware update to a Dell
2950 which is running neither Windows, nor Linux. I've used memdisk for
many moons to punt dos images at servers for updates, but for some
reason this binary update needs Windows or "RedHat" (and a great list of
dependencies, which would be more difficult to resolve on a non-running
system).

>> Aside from the above, I'm still not sure why Lilo fails on memdisk newer
>> than 3.31.
>
> I suggest asking the LILO people about that...

I was actually wondering what behaviour had changed between 3.31 and
3.35 (and later) that had made something that had worked since memdisk
2.x "suddenly" break.

However, seeing as I'll not be using it much longer...

--
ian