[syslinux] Request for enlightenment..

Luciano Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Thu Jul 5 14:26:59 PDT 2007

On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 08:53:11PM +0100, Ian McDonald wrote:
> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > Ian McDonald wrote:
> >> I did kind of wonder if there was a way of getting the kernel to look at
> >> the bios information.
> >
> > Nope.  A MEMDISK-on-Linux driver could be written, but there has been
> > zero interest so far.  Also, using memdisk to boot Linux is rather silly.
>
> I know it's a wee bit strange, but I was rather taken by the idea of
> being able to just build a small linux install in vmware, make
> modifications to it as a running system, then boot said installation
> trivially using memdisk, having dd'd a copy of the disk (from a pxelinux
> image we use for our deployment system already).

You should be able to use the dd of the partition as an initrd,
if you have enough free memory (and the filesystem driver in the kernel,
not a module). Or use an initramfs:
ln -s sbin/init /init
find / -xdev ! -wholename /rd -print0 | cpio -o0Hnewc | gzip -9 > /rd

In both those cases, you'll have to have a correct /etc/fstab, or fix
the boot process to use a correct one.

Or an initrd that boots the hdd image via nbd, nfs, etc.

--
lfr
0/0