[syslinux] [memdisk] collision between memdisk and emm386 (FreeDOS)

m4mach m4mach at o2.pl
Fri Jul 13 12:08:59 PDT 2007

Hi

I'm using memdisk as part of CD Shell' isolinux. I've created custom floppy
disk image 8440kB size. I've put FreeDOS kernel and bootsector into the
floppy. Boot process goes fine with this command:

isolinux /boot/memdisk initrd=/ximg/fdos.img c=60 h=8 s=36 floppy

The problems begin when I try to run FreeDOS memory manager emm386 from the
floppy image.

my config.sys:

1?DEVICE=HIMEM.EXE /VERBOSE
1?DEVICE=EMM386.EXE X=C000-C800 NOEMS /VERBOSE

System hangs (freezes) just after emm386 is loaded, leaving all information
about memory (UMB etc.). There is no any error, everything looks like it
loaded OK, but it isn't. I've tried a lot of command line options for
emm386, but no effect.

The strange think is that when I did the same with 2880kB floppy image the
problem completely disappeared! - In that case the only one suspect for me
is MEMDISK, I think it has something with memory (difference between images
size) - but I don't have any idea how memdisk allocates memory and why there
is a collision between emm386 and memdisk??

Any ideas?