[syslinux] Help Memdisk + Pxelinux hangs

Eileen.Mcnaughton at alcatel-lucent.co.nz Eileen.Mcnaughton at alcatel-lucent.co.nz
Thu Jul 19 14:43:38 PDT 2007

Hello,

I am a *nix newbie

I am trying to boot a DOS boot disk using PXE (to Ghost on windows
images).

We have an existing PXE server which successfully serves out PXElinux and
Fedora builds based on that but my floppy disk image with memdisk isn't
working

I have tried a few different floppy images which people have posted as
ones that work for them but I doubt the disk is the problem as the hang
occurs before memdisk itself seems to have even loaded:

and then nothing more....

I only found one other post with the same symptoms.
http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2002-April/000346.html

The guy who set up the server says that the versions of isolinux etc are
the latest.

This is from my config file (I tried all these variations but the same
result):

label 20
  kernel memdisk keeppxe
  append initrd=test.ima floppy

label test
  kernel memdisk
  append initrd=dos/bart.img keeppxe

label a
  kernel memdisk
  append initrd=dos/net.img floppy

label b
  kernel memdisk
  append initrd=dos/netlg.ima floppy

label c
  kernel memdisk
  append initrd=dos/net.img raw

label d
  kernel memdisk
  append initrd=dos/netlg.ima raw

label e
  kernel memdisk
  append initrd=dos/netlg.ima floppy raw

Any ideas much appreciated!

This email may contain privileged/confidential information. You may not copy or disclose this email to anyone without the written permission of the sender.  If you have received this email in error please kindly delete this message and notify the sender.  Opinions expressed in this email are those of the sender and not necessarily the opinions of the employer.

This email and any attached files should be scanned to detect viruses.  No liability will be accepted by the employer for loss or damage (whether caused by negligence or not) as a result of email transmission.