[syslinux] Linux kernel + initrd in one file

Andreas Kotes count-linux at flatline.de
Fri Jul 20 06:18:57 PDT 2007

Hello Feri,

* Ferenc Wagner <wferi at niif.hu> [20070720 14:56]:
> Andreas Kotes <count-linux at flatline.de> writes:
>
> > Is it possible to embedd the initrd with the linux kernel in a way
> > similiar to how it works on some embedded systems? There, you provide an
> > object file with the filesystem, and it's linked directly into the
> > kernel.
>
> See Documentation/filesystems/ramfs-rootfs-initramfs.txt, especially
> the 'Populating initramfs' section, which should answer you question.

cool, thanks, good to know! :)

this is definitely an improvement - BUT forces me to rebuild (or at
least link) the kernel every time I change the cpio archive, right?

so, I'd still be interested in a possiblity to use an appended initrd
(which for me has the additional advantage of having the root filesystem
read only without the need to give extra parameters or change something
inside the kernel) .. plus, it would possibly work with stock
distribution kernels.

Thanks for the pointer and any other information! :)

   Andreas

--
"At the end of knowledge, wisdom begins, and at the end of wisdom, there is no
grief ... but hope."