[syslinux] reboot from com32

Miguel mth at mth.com
Fri Jul 20 14:47:28 PDT 2007

Q: Is there a way to do a reboot (either warm or cold) from a com32 program?

I have a com32 program that sometimes (based upon conditions) needs to
reboot the system.

I would prefer to do a warm reboot (40:72 = 0x1234), but at this point
cold would be OK too.

grepping through syslinux-3.51 I only found one reference, in
iso/pxelinux.asm at the tail end of 'kaboom' ... but presumably that only
happens after things go wrong.

It isn't clear to me how to do this since the com32 program is running in
32-bit mode.

Q: Can I just make a pointer to a function, set the value to 0x000FFFF0
and make a call into the BIOS ROM, even though I am running in 32-bit mode?

Miguel